Follow us on Twitter for more entrepreneurial tips @411dotca
So your social media has been set up and you’re ready to begin posting, but first, you need to start creating content. This may seem overwhelming, but we’ve put together this guide to help you get the most out of your social media content.
We’ll give a brief overview of the main social channels to consider for your business, then share some general tips to keep in mind when posting.
Using Facebook to grow your business is common. It has such a large user base that it almost seems easy to get your name out there and to find new customers. But, in order to make the most out of Facebook you need to break through your followers’ news feeds.
Keep your posts short and sweet for all of the people who scan through their newsfeed. You can use Facebook to:
To get most amount of people engaging with your content, you can run ads with Facebook and offer special deals that will keep your customer interested. You can also boost your original content that your customers enjoy so that you can attract new viewers.
Twitter is an excellent social media platform for sharing existing content to your viewers. You don’t want to spend too much time creating Twitter content, as the average lifetime of a tweet is around 18 minutes. But Twitter is great for re-tweeting information from other businesses or links you think your target audience will value.
Twitter is also great for promoting your content from other social media channels. You can create a tweet letting users know that you have a new blog post up on your Facebook or that you have new products on your website with a hyperlink to that content. Since there’s a 140 character limit, make sure to keep your tweets short, sweet and to the point.
Google+ is integrated with Google Docs, Chrome, Google Reader, Gmail and Youtube. This site can amplify your messages and increase engagement, increase social traffic to your website, as well as traffic from Google searches. It not only helps to shape your brand but creates business for you. Similar to Twitter, you can reference posts from your other channels or you can post directly on the site with no character limit. Google+ is great because you are able to reach large audience that may not have any other social media accounts.
It is important to always keep your Google+ up to date with information, as Google is generally the first site people go to when searching for a business. You should also include your hours and phone number, making it simple for customers to get in contact with you and use your business. Google+ accepts customer reviews allowing potential customers to see if others liked your product or service.
General Social Media Tips
1. Include a CTA. You should include a Call To Action in all your social media posts to let your audience know exactly what you want them to do. It can be something like sign up, call now, or get started.
2. Post at the Right Times. Running a business means you likely won’t have time to stop what you’re doing in the middle of the day to post on social. Schedule your content in advance with a tool like Buffer. You simply gather the posts you want to appear on your feed, add them to a queue, and buffer will post them at strategic times throughout the day.
3. Fill in the About Section. The “about section” is one of the first places people will look when they are scanning your page, so make sure it is filled with important and relevant information about your company. Also be sure to update it if anything changes.
4. Create a Content Calendar. This will help you brainstorm ideas for content, as well as stay organized and on top of when you will post the content. HubSpot has a free content calendar template you can download.
5. Coordinate your Pages. Keep your various social media pages consistent. Your cover photo, pinned post, and profile call to action should all work together to promote marketing campaigns. These are the three main things that drawn the customers eyes to the page, so you want to make sure that they are engaging and that your message matches across all these features and channels.
6. Quality > Quantity. This is arguably the most important tip to keep in mind. Set a high standard for the content of your posts. A small number of high quality posts will always be more valuable than a high number of low quality posts.
Looking for tips on using another social media platform? Tweet us @411dotca with what you want to know.