As 2016 comes to an end, it’s time to reflect on what went well and what needs improvement in the new year. The best way to do this is by setting a New Year’s resolution. While resolutions often focus on self-improvement, you should set a new goal for your business this year. It can be inspirational, financial or environmental – anything you wish for your business in 2017.
Here are 7 ideas to get you thinking.
1. Create a healthy work-life balance. When you run your own business it’s difficult, but important to set aside time for your family and friends. One way you can do this is by setting structured hours for work. Try these apps to increase productivity at work and help make more time for your personal life. Re-discover an old hobby, read, exercise or dive into something you’re passionate about.
2. Stay on top of social media. Social media is no longer optional for business, it’s integral. If you’ve yet to adopt social media as part of your business strategy, make 2017 the year you do. Set a realistic goal for your team and stick to it. If you don’t have the resources to manage your social presence, try using 411 Social Media powered by Arnold Street Media.
3. Bond with your employees. Since you operate in your local community, consider getting involved with your team. You can volunteer at a local charity, which will bring you closer together and strengthen your surrounding community.
You can also make a fun team resolution and work toward your goal together. For example, our sales team had a challenge to conquer a fear and it was great for camaraderie and personal development.
5. Learn a new language. Learning a new language isn’t easy, especially as an adult, but online tools like Duolingo make it easier. Research shows 34 hours spent on Duolingo is equivalent to a semester of university level language education.
Since we’re a bilingual country, consider learning French. This will be helpful if you’re planning to expand your business across Canada in the future.
6. Be more environmentally friendly. Earlier this year we wrote a post about how to make your business more eco-friendly. From turning off lights and computers to switching to greener products like LED light bulbs, remanufactured ink and recycled paper, make it your goal to reduce your environmental footprint in 2017.
7. Become a mentor. Since you have experience in the small business world, consider mentoring an aspiring entrepreneur. Being a mentor lets you to share your valuable and neutral opinion, while also sharing mistakes for your mentee to learn from. If you’re new to small business, click here to find yourself a mentor.
This list of resolutions is just a start, so feel free to get creative. Our advice is to choose one resolution so you can stay fully committed to it throughout the year. Make sure it’s something realistic – you don’t want to set yourself up for failure. Once you’ve chosen your resolution, write it down and put it somewhere visible so you’re reminded of your goal and hold yourself accountable. Make 2017 a year for personal and professional development.