BENJAMIN MILLIKEN HOUSE A Piece of Markham’s History
Born on February 28, 1794, Benjamin Milliken served as a Private in the York Militia of 1812, taking part in the battle of Queenston Heights. He later rose to the rank of Major in the Sedentary Militia, a position he held during the 1837 and 1838 revolts. Benjamin Milliken’s grandpa originally came from Scotland and immigrated to Maine in the late 1600’s. During that time, the Milliken family became successful in the shipping and lumbering business. However as the family were loyalists, they were forced to move north to New Brunswick, then eventually settling in Markham, Ontario. After settling here they continued to be very profitable in the lumber and shipping business. After the war, the Major return to Markham to marry Eleanor Hemingway and built a small-framed house on the property we are on today. He lived here, raised seven children, and was re-married twice. In 1875 his son, William, from his first wife built a 2-story brick house we sit in today. William lived in the house and raised prized cattle and sheep. He became known as a champion ploughman and a noted stockbreeder. His third wife, Elizabeth Ordway, survived the Major when he died on July 3rd, 1863. The property stayed in the Milliken family until 1900, when William and Mary Milliken sold it to Simon G. Little. From then the property changed ownership several times until it was purchased by Metro Toronto in 1984. A year later, the property was purchased by the present owners. It has since been revived as the authentic English-style Pub House you see today.