Don't be a Victim of Fraud: Be Aware of Fake Invoices or Solicitations
(Last Updated: September 2014)
FACT: Over 24 million people use 411.ca each year to find local businesses in Canada. Hundreds of thousands of small businesses use 411.ca to advertise their products and services online and on mobile.
UNFORTUNATE FACT: Due to 411.ca brand popularity, there are numerous companies and individuals who pretend to be affiliated with, or a representative of 411.ca in order to benefit monetarily by way of fraudulent claims.
411.ca highly recommends business managers review any invoice or solicitation thoroughly. Please see the following guidelines we’ve prepared to help you determine the validity of communications.
- Beware of name uses that do not directly relate to the 411.ca brand and/or other 411 type logos that are not that of 411.ca
- Always review the address on the invoice. 411.ca does not send invoices outside of Canada and we do not send invoices requesting payment from any address outside of Canada.
- Never sign a document you didn’t read thoroughly
- Never pay an invoice that has not included a valid telephone number
- Never pay an invoice without verifying that the order is correct and that you have in fact made an order with the claimant and/or company
- Contact your 411.ca account manager to confirm that your ad and invoice are correct
- Do not accept any invoice by fax unless you have requested to receive it by fax. Following receipt of the faxed invoice, always contact your 411.ca account manager to confirm
- If you are contacted in person, always be sure to ask for a business card and/or contact name of a representative at 411.ca who can verify the communications delivered to you
- When a scam is suspected, be sure to notify your companies account department.
- If you have any questions about any invoice or claim related to 411.ca, call customer service at 1-866-411-4411 Ext 2.
Report Suspicious Businesses to:
- Competition Bureau of Canada at 1-800-348-5358
- Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501
If you receive a fraudulent invoice or suspect a scam, contact your local Better Business Bureau (BBB) for information at www.bbb.org
All 411.ca invoices will show the 411.ca brand and logo and all transactions will be noted on your statement as "411 LOCAL SEARCH TORONTO ON"